Saturday, November 12, 2016

A Caring Introduction To My In-laws

"A time when you received care" and "how you knew you were cared for."

After a long day of exploring attractions on the southeast coast of Mexico I fell into a tired stupor. There was something foreign taking over my mind. A nauseating rush passed through my head. I breathed slowly for a short while until I could no longer control my breath. I knew I was about to get sick. I rushed to the washroom where I ended up staying for hours. From 9:00pm until 1:00am my boyfriend’s family (now in-laws) and their friends brought me Gatorade, held my hair, massaged my back, and showed care and support in many ways.  At 1:00am I started to pass out and lose function in my hands and feet.  No one left my side.  Even in the darkest hours of the night of this family’s vacation they were gladly and openly supporting me.  By 3:00am an ambulance was needed as my body started to lose a lot of function due to severe dehydration.  The convulsions began.  
While I was being strapped down in the ambulance I had my boyfriend next to me. In cars behind were people who I had just met two days prior. I knew they were not only there to make sure I was okay but to be there for my boyfriend who also needed the support as he wasn’t convinced that I would be okay. The next day, visitors, again, whom I just recently met, came to the clinic to check in, bring fresh clothes, and to offer a strong hand.  I was overwhelmed by the care and support of these people who I’d only known for 48 hours.  They were taking time out of their vacation to offer whatever they could. I felt genuinely cared for and knew my immediate family, who were hours by plane away, wouldn’t need to worry about anything because I had what seemed to be family by my side.
After watching 13 bags of intravenous drip into my body I was ready to slowly make my way back to the beach bungalow.  I needed to recover, regain some strength, and try to enjoy my last three days in the warm weather.
When I think of this experience I don’t think of how awful I felt and how my illness ruined the trip.  This was a memorable trip because of the people who cared for me when my partner and I needed it most.  I remember the thoughtfulness, kindness, and comfort people offered.  I haven’t seen some of these people since the Mexico experience that occurred almost 5 years ago but I think about them often and hope they know how appreciated their support was.
--
A side thought on ‘care’ and this may come across as obvious but ‘care’ often seems to be given more easily to loved ones, those in emergency situations, or those who stand out from the normal day to day doings. I get the feeling that if someone fell ill on public transit or was in a car accident they would be provided care and support by bystanders, however, if the same bystanders were to walk along East Hastings Street in Vancouver and see people who were unwell or in need of some kind of care they may carry on with their day because the area is known for homelessness and high drugs use.  It may seem ‘normal’ to see people struggling in these conditions in this specific area so care isn’t offered. Or, is it not the normalcy of it but that bystanders are scared to help or think a quick offering of care will not fix the ultimate ‘problem’? In the end care doesn’t have to come down to curing an illness or finding the solution to a problem. Care goes beyond medical and finding solutions. Care reaches the most important thing, the person and the emotional being that resides within. 

No comments:

Post a Comment